Creative Director – Her Universe
About Her Universe
In 2009, Araca and Ashley Eckstein created Her Universe, a fashion label offering stylish, fashion-forward merchandise for female sci-fi fans. Her Universe is a place for fangirls to step into the spotlight and be heard, recognized and rewarded. Hoping to change the perception that science fiction and fantasy is just for the boys, Her Universe has joined forces with some of the biggest names in the sci-fi/fantasy world to create female-focused apparel and accessories with such iconic brands as Star Wars, Marvel, Doctor Who, Star Trek and The Walking Dead.
About our ideal candidate
You are a creative and stylish individual with a strong sense of trends in fashion, merchandise, graphics, and branding. You are a highly skilled graphic designer and/or design leader who is committed to improving a fan’s experience with her favorite entertainment property, whether that property is an iconic film, cutting-edge television series, or compelling book series. Through research and experience you discover – and help determine – what fans want to take home from their favorite entertainment event. You bring creativity, originality and professionalism to developing the themes and “merchandise moments” inherent in a creative property. You can articulate your brand vision with confidence and flair in a client pitch meeting, whether that client is an entertainment conglomerate or an up-and-coming artist. You have significant experience that will allow you to assemble the best team from both our in-house and free-lance graphic artists, and lead these diverse teams in creating a multi-faceted merchandise line. You encourage team members to capitalize on both the familiar comforts and unexpected delights of a brand, and organize their work flow. You will motivate your team to excel at their tasks, whether it involves perfecting the tried-and-true or breaking bold new stylistic ground. You think about merchandising from the perspective not only of graphic design, but also of product development and the customer’s retail experience. You have a passion for creating unique quality products for a wide variety of consumers throughout the world. You have experience working with international vendors in the production of soft and hard goods and you bring a passion for developing cutting edge product.
- Articulate bold and stylish merchandise brand strategies for printed soft and hard goods for a wide variety of entertainment clients.
- Partner with client services, design, product development, and inventory team members to create high-quality, fashionable merchandise.
- Draft and present creative briefs and product line concepts for the team and for client pitch meetings.
- Annually and quarterly develop strategic mid and long term plans for graphic and design concepts.
- Identify effective market research strategies in order to anticipate future design and fashion trends.
- Create seasonal mood and trend boards and oversee how that information is consistent through all designs.
- Develop and maintain simplified project timelines and milestones by means of effective communication, timely updating, appropriate delegation and task execution.
- Effectively lead the Her Universe Graphic Art department through motivation, direction, collaboration, development and accountability.
- Clearly define all design standards for quality and operational procedures and enforce them by means of accountability, training and coaching.
- Take initiative to remain in tune with licensor design visions and retail customer needs.
- Provide strategic direction to the Her Universe Art team in preparing weekly Art Reviews and oversee the design presentations.
- Work with the Account Manager to manage the approval process, from initial concept to final approval, within aggressive deadlines and delivery dates.
- Partner with the visual merchandising and E-commerce teams to develop attractive and engaging real-world and online shopping destinations.
- Foster team relationships and staff assignments to maximize creative output.
- Analyze sales data and review and revise existing merchandise lines to invigorate product lines and maximize sales.
- BA in Design, Merchandising, or a related discipline. We will also consider candidates without degrees who have at least five years of relevant experience including at least three years managing a team.
- Portfolio of original work demonstrating creativity and a refined sense of design.
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced, creative environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven client management experience.
- Demonstrated team leadership experience and ability to foster a positive work environment.
- Proven ability to complete products through all phases of development, from design to final approval.
- Proficient in the Adobe Creative Suite of Products.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Responsive and responsible client and customer service ethic.
- MFA in Design or related discipline
- Knowledge of primary retail accounts (Specialty tier retailers and theme parks) and respective product lines.
- Prior experience working with licensors.
- Experience in Design and Repeat or other Textile Repeat Design programs.
- Strong understanding of soft-line print techniques such as, Reactive Dye, Discharge, and Sublimation.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Health /dental insurance
- 401(k) with company contribution
- 3 weeks’ paid time off per year.
Please send a cover email, including salary requirements, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must include “HER UNIVERSE CREATIVE DIRECTOR” in the subject line of your email. Please, no phone calls. Araca will contact successful applicants for an interview. Araca is an equal opportunity employer. The position is a full-time position based in Araca’s Los Angeles, CA office, and requires a limited amount of travel.
Accounting Associate (Sales and Banking), Finance
The Finance and Accounting Associate will support the senior staff of the Finance Department at the Araca Group. Duties will include management and maintenance of sales data, banking relationships, reconciliation and internal financial matters. The Finance and Accounting Associate will report directly to both the Executive and Senior Vice Presidents of Finance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Record deposits from all US and international entities
- Handle customer disputes and charge backs Reconciliation
- Reconcile all US and international bank statements
- Reconcile merchant statements for credit card sales
- Reconcile credit card statements and expense reports
- Reconcile sales data from point of sale system
- College degree or comparable work experience.
- Computer-literate, proficient in Quickbooks and Excel, Retail Pro a plus.
- Highly organized and attentive to detail.
- Experience in banking, accounting or bookkeeping.
- 35K per year
- Health/dental insurance
- 401(k) with company matchn
- 3 weeks’ paid time off per year.
About the Company
Araca Merchandise L.P. is a theatrical and live-entertainment merchandise company; it is an affiliate of The Araca Group, a Broadway production company. Araca’s theatrical merchandise accounts include Wicked, Book of Mormon, Jersey Boys, Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella, Rock of Ages, Once, Strictly Ballroom, and Matilda. Araca also serves as the official merchandise provider for dance and concert clients such as Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre, Celtic Woman, and the New York City Ballet. In addition, Araca provides merchandising services for recording artists including Britney Spears, Linkin Park, One Republic, Iggy Azalea, Hollywood Undead, AFI, Chris Cornell, and Black Label Society. More info at www.araca.com.